About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Sewing for participation in Me-Made-May 2017

This year I'm going to participate in Me Made May 2017.
I'm not going to post on Instagram, or here on my blog, just try to wear everyday something that I have sewn or knit for myself.

What is Me-Made-May'17 and how it works...

Me-Made-May'17 (#MMMay17 for social media interaction) is a challenge designed to encourage people who sew/knit/crochet/refashion/upcycle garments for themselves to wear and love them more. The me-made and self-stitched challenges have been taking place for eight years now and they work on both a personal and community level. The participants decide the specifics of their own challenge, so that the month is appropriate and challenging for them (more on this below). For example, a very common pledge is for a participant to aim to wear one self-stitched or refashioned garment each day for the duration of May 2017. Some participants choose to document their challenge photographically (though this is in no way compulsory for taking part) and share them with other participants.

Yesterday I received a wonderful parcel of Jalie patterns that I had ordered, and today I ordered fabric  online from Thread Theory. (I have pretty well given up on fabric from Fabricland as the quality is too poor. I put time and effort and money into sewing, only to have the fabric pill and sag.) I recently received an order from Blackbird Fabrics so I am well supplied to make some wonderful clothes.

Today I traced patterns from Jalie, and cut out six garments. I think that pattern tracing and cutting out is the most tedious part of sewing, and takes concentrated continuous time. I had a free day all day today, so now I can sit and sew whenever the mood takes me.

1.  Jalie 2805 v-neck tee shirt, long sleeve. Using grey sweater knit from Blackbird Fabrics.

2. Burda 6908 long sleeve collared shirt in blue and white stripe cotton. I made this shirt earlier this year from Liberty cotton, so I know that it fits well. My first shirt was very long, so I shortened this one by 2 inches.

3.  Hemlock Tee in a woven fabric, raw silk in colour denim blue from Blackbird Fabrics. Cut the sleeves on the bias, a hint that I found online for using woven fabric with this pattern designed for knits, but oversize so hopefully okay.

4.  New Look 6266 sleeveless shirt, in navy silk or rayon, origin unknown, but so nice and drapey. I really did not have enough fabric, so the under collar, etc. are cut from Liberty cotton. I made this shirt in flannel earlier this year, so I know that it fits well. The flannel was from Fabricland and is stiff and cardboard like, another reason not to use that source of fabric.

5.  Jalie 3676 Vanessa fluid pants. Navy rayon challis, origin unknown, really nice and drapey.

6.  Jalie 3462 Eleonore pull on pants. Capri length, heavy black 4-way stretch from Fabricland (discovered a flaw - grr - so had to cut across grain. This may turn out to be a muslin for fit). I don't like low rise pants, so I added 2 inches to waist height.


No comments:

Post a Comment