About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Final Independent painting for Fine Arts 121

My second term painting class at North Island College is coming to a close. This past week we critiqued our colour theory paintings.

My colour theory painting; acrylic on 300 lb Arches watercolour paper. We used our own photograph, projected it onto the substrate, then painted. I'm calling it "Rock Crab Shell on Baynes Sound Beach, Denman Island".

Next week is a studio day, and I'm going to work at home. April 12 is our last day, and the critique of our final Independent painting. My instructor told me to really let loose, so I am. I have a 4 foot square sheet of birch plywood, and I'm starting with it flat on the floor so that I can drip all over it. When I am ready to do some actual painting, I will prop it up vertically.

This photo of Chickadee lake that I took a few weeks ago is the inspiration for my colour choices and perhaps some figurative work. My goal is to paint an abstract with some figurative elements, invoking the feeling of the Denman Island landscape.

The four foot square birch plywood sheet, on the floor, supported by two by four pieces of wood, with a plastic drop sheet underneath. I have brushed on two coats of Golden GAC 100 to seal the wood and act as a clear gesso.

First coat of paint. Applied with a brayer, not worrying about the wood that shows through. Hansa Yellow Light on top, Hansa Yellow Middle on the bottom.

Using up bits of left over paint, in greens and blues and whites. Establishing the vertical elements early on.

I put tape across the board two thirds of the way up to establish a horizon line. Painted it with fluid Cerulean Blue, then dabbed and dripped with 90% isopropyl alcohol to create a spotted effect.

Painted the sky area again, with a mixture of Pythalo blue and white, then dripped with alcohol again. Interesting that it was not fluid enough on the right side, so the spotting is less. No problem, this is a free wheeling backgroun.

Went into the shapes in the blue area with blue FW acrylic ink. Painted the bottom area with two greens: a mix of hansa yellow middle, pythalo blue and white; and a mix of hansa yellow middle and mars black. Applied this very watery (learned from what happened to the right side of the sky) and splashed on lots of alcohol. Let it drip and slide.
I dipped a plastic circle shape into Golden fluid iridescent gold paint and applied gold circles all over the sky.

Now I'm going to let it all dry overnight and take stock tomorrow. I think that I still want to do more with the background to the bottom two thirds of the board.  More is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment